Practitioner of the Year Award
PRACTITIONER OF THE YEAR AWARD
General information for applicants
2017 is the inaugural year of the TEFMA Practitioner of the Year Award in recognition of outstanding professional practice by a member in any aspect of higher education property and/or facilities management.
The Practitioner of the Year Award recognises a member that has displayed excellence in a significant aspect of the management of property and/or facilities of a member institution. Applications for this award are expected to demonstrate the essential role played by exemplary property and/or facilities management in supporting a member institution in delivering services to its customer base.
As well as sector recognition, the award winner will receive a uniquely designed, hand crafted trophy.
APPLY HERE >>
Applications close 11 August
To be considered for the Practitioner of the Year Award 2017, applications and supporting material should be received by TEFMA no later than 11 August 2017.
Submissions must be made on the official application form.
Award criteria should be addressed in applications.
Assessment of applications and presentation of awards
Selection of the successful applicant will be approved by the TEFMA Board following receipt of a recommendation from a judging panel established to review the applications.
A panel of appropriately qualified judges, including representatives from TEFMA and the professional sector, will be nominated to judge applications.
Applications will be judged against the published criteria. Panel deliberations will be confidential and the judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence or appeal process will be entered into.
The judging panel may decide not to award if it deems that no suitable applications have been received.
Evaluation of applications for the award will be completed by mid August 2017, to enable shortlisted applicants to be notified so that they can plan travel to attend at the announcement and presentation for the winning application. Awards are presented at the TEFMA Awards Dinner at the TEM conference of the year of the applications; in Melbourne, September 17 – 20 2017.
The award winner and / or their nominator will be asked to make a brief presentation, including a 2 minute video, on receiving the award at the TEFMA Awards Dinner, September 18 2017. Runners up will have the opportunity to have their 2 minute electronic presentations on display at the Awards Dinner venue.
The Practitioner of the Year Award is open for applications from any individual, or on behalf of any individual, working in a relevant department of a TEFMA Member Institution.
Individuals with outstanding achievements in relevant areas during the past year are encouraged to apply; alternatively, they may be nominated for the award by a colleague or manager.
There is no limit on the number of applications from one institution.
Practitioner of the Year Award criteria
Applications should clearly reference the criteria provided. Words provided are a prompt only, to assist those completing an application, but are not intended to be exhaustive.
An individual’s thoughtful and creative approach to dealing with a property and / or facilities management situation in a member institution should be demonstrated, with outstanding professionalism resulting in a contribution of great value.
The individual’s work should demonstrate quality outcomes for the benefit of staff, students and visitors.
B. Interpersonal skills
Applications should reference some or all of the following:
- Leadership: Inspiration and integrity have been displayed, resulting in creation of an environment to enable achievement of outstanding outcomes.
- Customer relationships: Excellence in customer relationship management has been displayed, with customer needs and expectations met and / or exceeded.
- Organisational relationships: Excellence in internal organisational relationship management has been demonstrated, with a high level of professionalism resulting in excellent performance outcomes.
C. Professional practice
Applications should reference some or all of the following:
Professionalism: Extensive understanding of the matter at hand and a willingness to ‘go the extra mile’ have ensured a successful result.
- Planning: Quality planning for objectives, clarity of purpose and goal setting, measurement and reporting have led to successful outcomes.
- Process improvement: Business effectiveness has measurably increased as a result of a new or improved robust and sustainable process; technical, administrative or other process types may be addressed.
- Research: Accurate and objective information gathering and well planned analysis have resulted in increased knowledge and quality new information being identified, with direct application to its purpose.
- Innovation: Development and application of new ideas or approaches to solving a problem has led to resolution of a significant issue.
- Delivery: Excellence in management of service or project delivery has resulted in outstanding outcomes for the benefit of students, staff and visitors to the organisation.
1. To be considered for this award you must provide the following:
- Completed application form.
- Supporting materials (if any).
- Details of any additional material to be made available should the judging panel choose to make a site visit.
2. All sections of the application form must be complete for an application to be considered.
3. Applications must be endorsed and signed by the relevant Institutional Member.
4. Applications must be submitted to the TEFMA Secretariat via the Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/L0GGeVgtH9dM8XfovnQG
5. You can upload a whole folder (must be zipped) and save it as YOURSURNAME_PRACTITIONER_DATESUBMITTED i.e. SMITH_12.07.17
6. Email the TEFMA Secretariat: email@example.com confirm your application has been uploaded. Applications must be received by the closing date and time of 5pm, 11th August
7. Applicants that are shortlisted will be asked to submit a 2 minute video presenting a snapshot of the nominee and their work proposed for the award.
8. Any enquiries should be directed to the TEFMA Secretariat on +61 3 6234 7844 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hints for application preparation
Be factual and positive.
It is important to provide evidence to back up your claims. As well as describing the situation you are presenting, you should cite actual examples relating to the work done, how well it was carried out, what was achieved, and how it has benefited your institution.
Responses need not be lengthy, but they should be relevant, include meaningful supporting descriptions, and should demonstrate particular characteristics, qualities or approaches that have resulted in the work making a significant contribution to your organisation.
A submission should anticipate the key points a panel member will be looking for in the responses to the award criteria.
To maximise your chances of success it is important that you address the award criteria to clearly identify the suitability of your application, or nominee, for consideration as winner of the award.
When addressing the criteria you should look for things to highlight that might set you or your nominee apart from other applicants.
Be clear and to the point and do not exceed word limits. Edit your responses for grammar, spelling and punctuation.